Monday, September 10, 2012

Sweet Baby Jesus, I Did It.

You may remember a couple of months ago that someone drugged me and made me sign up for a Half Marathon.  Ok, ok, maybe I wasn't drugged but I think I was slightly out of my mind.  I spent the last 11 weeks or so training to get ready for it.  

I knew I was in trouble when I looked online and it said, "If you're looking for a flat, easy, fast course, this may not be the one for you."  Well, what the heck.  That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  

I arrived shortly after 7am, and the nerves were in high gear.  Stupid me had already blabbed to too many people that I was doing this, so I couldn't stealthily sneak into the 5k line up.  Note for next time: keep my trap shut. ;)

The weather was a perfect 47 degrees and the wind seemed low.  Ok, I can do this.  I had my music ready to go, and I just wanted to get it over with.  The buzzer goes off and here we go!
Remember when you were younger and your parents said they walked to school uphill both ways?  You rolled your eyes at the martyrs, because everyone knows if you go up a hill, you will eventually come down.  Right?  Wrong.  I swear every turn we made was going up another hill.  They weren't going to take it easy on me, were they??

My parents were there in time for the start, and were so kind to meet me along the way to cheer me on.  I think they were at miles 6 and 10 or so.  Around mile 7, I started running against the wind.  Ok, Mother Nature - the hills weren't enough for me, you decided to throw in the wind, too??  I had a few words for her, but I'll keep it PG here.  I kept trucking along (slowly) and was feeling ok.  Around mile 11 I was starting to hit a wall.  My feet hurt, my legs hurt, and I was just feeling D.O.N.E.  I tried to play the mind tricks on myself saying that it was only 2 miles left.  2 miles - peanuts!!  

Mile 12 comes.  Surely, they're going to take it easy on this old lady and finally go all downhill right?  Jerks, here's another hill {against the wind}.  Ugggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.  Are you freaking kidding me??

Guess what?  




I did it. :)  I finished this stupid course.

Now, I wasn't fast, and I certainly wasn't anywhere near the beginning of the pack.  But, I wasn't dead last either.  And even if I was, that'd be ok.  Because I started out not too long ago not being able to run a full minute without getting pooped.  And this weekend, I ran 13.1 miles.  Bam!

I noticed something funny while going through my pictures.  You probably can't tell here, but in the pictures above, the middle one on the right - the store behind it is an Oxygen Supply Center.  Very fitting.  I finished in 2:31:53.  I had figured I'd do it in 2 and a half hours, so this is pretty close.  Especially considering that the trails I ran this summer were flat...how they should be. ;)  

Here I am in my delirious, holy moly I actually finished this sucker faze.
Kendall had been talking all week how she was going to cheer really loud for me.  As I was running up to the finish line I saw my baby girls clapping, and it's such a fun feeling.  When I walked over to them after, the little sweeties each brought me a flower.  Kendall excitedly said, "Did you hear me, mama?? I cheered for you!"  I sure did, baby girl. 
About .01243846 seconds later, this is where I ended up, and I had no intentions of moving.  My legs gave out and I was looking around for a wheelchair to bring me back to my car.  
The girls were in heaven with the post race bananas and cookies for the runners.  
I'm so blessed to have such an awesome family to come and cheer me on.  It's a pretty cool feeling to have something that starts as just a little spark in your head as an idea.  You push it out thinking there is no way in God's great earth that you could do that.  Then, wait a minute.  If others can, why CAN'T I?  It really seemed out of reach at first, and I am so darn proud that I did it.  I wasn't the best or the fastest, but all that mattered to me was that I crossed that finish line, and I did.  I ran 13.1 miles, and I am pretty happy about that.
The biggest down side is one of my best friends was supposed to run it with me.  The poor girl got sick the week before.  Despite all of her efforts to flush out that nasty cold, she had no luck and had to miss it. :(  Just when I thought I could cross this off my bucket list, I think I might have her pushing me to do another one next year.  I might go for it....


on a flat, downhill, wind at my back course.  ;)



10 comments:

  1. Mychela Burke MarshallSeptember 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM

    Yay!!!! You did a fantastic job!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I'll never forget how I felt when I finished my first (and only) half marathon. I don't think I moved for days!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so amazing!!!! You should be really proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Tessa Lee!! You rock!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Tessa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!!  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Andrea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you.  Think you'll ever do another one?  I said heck no right after, and am now thinking I might in April.  I want to get a better time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love