Friday, June 29, 2012

13.1

I have never thought of myself a runner.  The complete opposite, actually.  I always was somewhat jealous of those that loved running, and were good at it.  I had a million and one excuses as to why that couldn't be me.

  • I have really bad knees.  The running is too hard of impact on them.  {seriously, though.  You should hear these bad boys.  It's like velcro}
  • I can do any type of cardio, I just don't like to run.  I'd rather work out on the eliptical machine.
My despise of running goes way back.  I will never forget in danceline in high school, we would start out our practices by running the school halls a few times.  A group of us would just chill in the bathrooms for about 10 minutes, splash a little water on our faces, and run back "panting".  It's really quite amazing the level my laziness went.  

Last summer I decided that there was no reason I couldn't do what I envied others for doing.  It seemed like a big mountain to climb, but I went for it.  I started slow.  Very slow.  The couch 2 5k program was awesome to get this lazy butt going.  I talked with my sister and signed up with her to run a 5k.  Now that I had agreed to do it with someone else, it wasn't nearly as easy to make an excuse and bail out for some reason or another.  I was nervous going into it, but I remember how proud I was when I finished.  
{Find it HERE}

When I finished the race, I made a goal that next year I'd be back and do the 10k.  That seemed impossible at the time, but I decided to take it a step further.  

That's right, my friends.  I signed up for a half marathon.  Excuse me while I go to vomit thinking about it.  13.1 miles.  I'm going to claim temporary insanity.

I have the Hal Higdon half marathon app on my iPhone.  I am currently on week 2 of 12 and have been getting through it to this point.  I've just said that no matter how slow I'm going {and believe me, it's slow.  I think a tortoise passed me up last night} I cannot stop.  Sunday was my first "long" run of the series.  Four miles.  That was 1 more mile than I've ever run and about 1.5 more than I was comfortably running at that point. I'm using "comfortably" loosely.  I got through it.  I was a hot, sweaty, tired mess,  but I got through it.

So, I may be dying of heat exhaustion and want to throw up and pass out simultaneously, but I'll be out there.  Expect a post in September cuing Dora's "I Did It" dance.  



9 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have the same feelings about running as you do, you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job!!  i just recently re-took up running....its always terrible when i'm running....but adrenaline you get after you've finished it, umm, nothing less than addictive ;).  I'm only running one mile at a time right now...can't wait until i'm up to 4!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Good luck! If I can do it, you can too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wa to go, honey!! I am so proud of you - and your sister for giving you the incentive!! You guys are amazing!! So, you go girl!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tales_Of_Two_GirlsJuly 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

    Thank you! It's starting to get easier now, and I'm actually starting to really enjoy it.  Shocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tales_Of_Two_GirlsJuly 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

    That's great!  When I first started I could barely run 3 minutes without wanting to die.  It's amazing what you can work up to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tales_Of_Two_GirlsJuly 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

    You definitely can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tales_Of_Two_GirlsJuly 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

    Thank you. :)  I have a long way to go before I can catch up with Shan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on signing up....you will become addicted...I just signed up to run my 3rd 1/2 marathon....I still hate running but the thrill during and after the race is amazing.  I normally only run the long runs once a week, but this year I'm going to try to at least get in one extra run during the week too!  There's a few really fun runs in Disney if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love