Will I be able to accurately teach them everything I need to? Will I be able to guide them into making the right decisions, and know when to step back and let them learn on their own. Motherhood is a scary, scary thing. Your heart is living outside of you, and you want to do everything in your power to keep it safe and protected. To never let it get scratched, bruised or hardened. To keep it pure and open.
I thought about what I want my girls to always know, and made a list of 10 lessons for them that I’d like them to remember.
1. Always have faith. Believe in miracles. Things may seem hopeless, but they will turn around.
2. Believe in the magic of books. Reading is invaluable in so many ways. You can be transported to the 1800s, solve a mystery, learn about things bigger than you, and fall in love.
3. Know your self worth. Do not rely on a boy to feel needed or loved. You will never be able to truly be loved, if you don’t love yourself.
4. Fall back on your siblings. Always have each other’s backs and be supportive. After all, they are the only ones that will truly be able to understand you when you talk about your crazy parents.
5. Leave a little to the imagination. There is a very fine line between sexy and, well…you know. Showing more skin does not make you beautiful. Holding your head high, and having confidence, will bring people to notice you. And notice you in the right way.
6. Don’t play dumb. I don’t know how it started for it to be “cute” or “endearing” for girls to act like that. Find role models in people who embrace the value of an education, who stand up for who they believe in, and who are inspirational. Remember, when you know better, you do better.
7. Don’t be afraid to get dirty, and have FUN.
8. Never underestimate the importance of a good friendship. A true friend can bring a smile to your face. They will know what you’re thinking without having to say it, and will make you happy just by being around you. You may have tiffs every now and then, but remember that everyone will make a mistake at some point. Know when to forgive and move on.
9. Don’t try to grow up too soon. I know that things will look exciting and glamorous, but enjoy the simplicity around you.
10. Always be true to yourself. Always know that you are loved beyond words, and could never do anything that would make your Daddy and I feel differently. Never settle for anybody that sees you as any less than that. You are special. You are important. You are LOVED.