Monday, January 23, 2012

The things I do to save a dollar.

With the start of 2012, I made a list of resolutions.  One of those was to try to cut costs where we can, and to grow our savings.  One way I did this was to drop our cable package.  This was a really tough day for me, as I lost my most beloved Bravo.  I didn't realize that I would also be losing all of Eric's sports channels.  This did not lead to a very happy husband.  After weeks of whining, we finally got it back.  I will admit though, I was a little too happy to catch up on the Real Housewives I've been missing.

Well, since the cable didn't seem to work out so well, I looked elsewhere.  One thing I couldn't help but see, looked back at me every time I looked in the mirror.  My lovely roots.  Oh, but not just roots.  No, my friends, I'm also going grey.  I spotted my first hair around 25.  I immediately plucked it out and told myself it was just a different color of one of my highlights.  Since then, those little bastards have kept sprouting up, taunting me of the big 3-0 quickly approaching.

Since I decided to dye my hair darker and one color the last time I went in, I figured now would be the easiest time to give it a whirl myself.  I had dyed my hair from a box as a teenager...and it was interesting, to say the least.  I went to Target and stood in the aisle, completely perplexed.  Do you know how many shades of hair dye there are?  I wanted brown.  There were about 1518943 shades of brown to choose from.  Ok, this maybe wasn't going to be as easy as I thought.

I grabbed a box, and was getting ready to set up an appointment with my stylist for the following week to fix what was sure to be a disaster.  It took me about a week to work up the nerve to do it.
As I started, I figured it'd just be the same as shampooing my hair.  I realized that with long hair, it's kind of a pain in the you know what.  I was so paranoid that I wasn't actually getting all of the hair.  What if there was a few dry strands in there that I missed?  What if it was going to come out with stripes?  My hair is long enough, why is there so much of the bottle left?
After the waiting for 25 minutes, I hopped in the shower to rinse it out.  I totally forgot that it'd come out colored, until my shower turned almost purple!  At this point, it was getting late and I was too lazy to dry it to see the finished product, so I went to bed.  It ended up coming out a little bit darker than I thought, but otherwise ok (I think?)
All in all, I think I can say Mission: Accomplished.  I figured I just saved about $100 there.  Not too shabby. :)  Now I don't have to feel quite so guilty thinking about the cable bill while watching a little Bravo.


Also, I have a guest post today over at ELF: A Family Blog for a post on her weekly How I Rock My Marriage Mondays.  Stop over and check out her blog!



4 comments:

  1. It looks great! I have dyed my own hair maybe 3 times and it sucks everytime! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look wonderful, Tessa! Now that I am retiring, we can color each other's hair - YIKES!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an awesome job!! I wish I could be brave and do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same gray hair issue.  Every other year I get sick of paying the money and I do box stuff. After about 4 or 5 boxes it starts looking rough and flat and I drag my feet back to the stylist for a year and then the whole cycle repeats again!   Your's does look great!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love