Saturday, December 17, 2011

Kendall's 2nd Surgery

I've been meaning to post an update on Kendall's surgery but I've been a little delayed.  Wednesday night, I came home from work and packed up the cars.  My parents met us to pick up Sydney, so they could watch her for the night for us.  We got on the road to head to Minneapolis.  We had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am, so we figured it'd be easier to go down the night before and stay at a hotel.  

The night started out interesting.  On the way down, a stupid semi driver started to switch into the left lane.  That would've been fine and dandy....if we weren't right next to them in the left lane!!  Ugh, semis freak me out, and apparently for good reason!  After our hearts went back to normal, we pulled off to get some dinner.  While sitting at the red light to turn left, literally right next to the restaurant, we had the following exchange:

Kendall:  I have to pee! I have to pee! I have to pee!
Mom & Dad:  Hold on Kendall! We're almost there.  Just hold it for one minute!
Kendall: But, I have to pee I have to pee...I peed.

Seriously, I could see the bathroom.  Sigh, strike two for the drive.  We went inside and did a swap of clothes.  Luckily, we gave my parents the car seat from Eric's car, so we turned Sydney's forward facing, so at least Kendall didn't have to ride in a wet seat the rest of the drive.  By the way, those are a major pain in the ass to clean, in case you didn't know!

We just stopped at a Pizza Ranch.  Kendall loved the chicken nuggets, and that's about it...until she saw the ice cream. :)  She knew I was feeling guilty already for what was yet to come, so that little stinker was able to get whatever she wanted! :)


After we finished eating, we got on the road again and got to the hotel around 8.  It was almost bed time, but we had promised her that she would get to go swimming.

She'd been talking all week about how she was going to go to the beach (or hotel, whatever!) to go swimming.  We get there, and all the big talker wanted to do was to dip her toes in.  She played on the steps most of the time.

 Also, since Kendall wasn't potty trained this summer, it looked so weird to see that little butt in her swimsuit without a swimming diaper filling it in. :)  Such a little runt.
Finally, Eric was able to get her in and go for a little spin around the pool.
 We were finally able to convince her it was time to head up to the room.  After a bath and reading some of the new books she got from Grandma, it was lights out.  I woke up from her coughing around 1:30am. The poor thing started to cough, and couldn't stop for about a 1/2 hour.  She was not allowed any food or drinks (even water) after midnight.  Normally, I'd have her drink some water, but I didn't want to go against the instructions.  She was finally able to stop and fell back asleep.  Momma wasn't so lucky.  I think I laid asleep for at least an hour.  Probably more.  I just could not fall back asleep.

It felt like right after I fell asleep, the alarm was going off.  We packed up and were at the hospital around 6:30am to check in.  Kendall was in a pretty decent mood for getting up earlier than usual, luckily.  We got Kendall in her little gown (she looked so tiny with her hospital gown on!) and met with the anesthesiologist.  She asked about her health and if she's had any coughs or colds.  Eric and I just looked at each other and told her about the night coughing spell.  Both of the girls had come down with colds the week before.  They were on the tail end of it, and Kendall was fine (we thought) until the cough hit. 

She explained that children's airwaves are naturally very small.  When they have a cough, it restricts it and irritates it even more.  They typically don't like to put them under if this is the case, especially if they have a fever.  She listened to her lungs, and they sounded clear.  However, that just told her that it wasn't pneumonia or something similar.  We were really nervous that they were going to tell us that after all of that dread and anticipation, that they weren't going to be able to go through with it.  However, after examining her and talking with us and the doctor, they felt it'd be safe.  If anything, she may have to stay in the recovery room a little longer.  We trusted their opinion, so the surgery was still on.

Finally, it was time for me to walk down with her to the OR.  After a quick kiss from daddy of course!
We brought her little Baby Bop doll down with her.  The nurses were so amazing with us.  We laid her down, and Kendall started to whimper.  We then put the gas on Baby Bop first, and Kendall thought that was pretty funny.  She laid there and didn't make a peep.  She just looked at me and around the room until she fell asleep.  It really comforted me to watch her be so calm about it.  

A half hour later, they came to tell us that she was out and did great.  Shortly after, I could hear her coming out of the recovery room.  She was scared and crying.  I got her right in my lap and she was still really upset.  She kept crying that she just wanted to go hoooooooooome.  She was completely out of sorts, and nothing could make her happy.  We'd get her calmed down, and then try to do something, such as put her socks on and she'd freak out.  After quite a while, we had to dress her kicking and screaming, to get ready to go home.  

About 5 minutes into the drive home, she fell right asleep and slept the whole way home.
 Luckily, when we got home she had a good lunch.  Once again, I felt so bad I gave her whatever she wanted.  I just wanted to get some food in her belly, and didn't care about what it was.  So, peanut butter bread and a couple of marshmallows it was!  We had to laugh a little, because her cheek was still numb.  When she'd talk, the left side was the only one that would really move.  I felt bad laughing at her in her weak state, but it was pretty cute. :)

She was pretty good all afternoon.  We had hoped that she'd go back to sleep, but she just laid on the couch and watched cartoons ALL afternoon.  I felt really guilty letting her watch that much TV, but it was better to keep her resting than running all over.  By dinner time, I think the Tylenol and the numbing medicine had worn off.  The poor girl was just beside herself.  She walked around in circles in the kitchen just crying.  Nothing would make her happy.  She didn't know what she wanted, but anything we offered was followed by a wailing NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  Eric was finally able to trick her into taking some more Tylenol, and shortly after our sweet girl was back.

It's been a few days now, and I'm amazed by how well she's bounced back.  Other than that first day, you'd never know she had anything done.  She is back to her happy, goofy self.  Her cheek is healing so well and looks amazing.  I can't wait to see how great it looks in a few months.  I am so glad to have this behind us.  Once again, I am so proud of my little big girl.  

   Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad she is doing okay! Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it's over and that she did fairly well with it. That has to be scary for her! I hope she is healing up nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love