Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Easy Peasy, Yummy Nummy Recipe

Ok, I tried to cook again.  Now, you may remember I've had a few unfortunate mishaps in the past.  You can read about them here and here.  So, as you can imagine, I try to make my time in the kitchen minimal....and without too much going on.  I'm easily flustered and distracted.  Eric always tells me if the sound of the water flowing over on the hot stove is how I know when it's boiling.  Um....pretty much.  That is why you shouldn't have a TV in the kitchen, folks.  

Anyway, last night I made a recipe I found on Pinterest.  It's a Spicy Chicken Rigatoni, and let me tell you, SOOOO GOOOOOOD!!!!  

Here is what you'll need:
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tbs crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tbs chopped garlic (I didn't have any fresh garlic in the house, so I just used minced garlic)
6 oz chicken sliced (I have no idea how many ounces I used.  I just grabbed one big chicken breast)
1/2 cup Alfredo sauce
1 cup marinara sauce
1 lb Rigatoni noodles

To start, heat the oil, red pepper, garlic, salt and pepper over medium heat.  I think it's supposed to release the flavors into the oil.  I don't really know.  That's just what they told me to do. :)  Next up, I added the chicken to cook.
While I was cooking the chicken, I threw the noodles in to boil.  If you are keeping count, that is now 2 pans on the stove, so I'm reaching my limit here.  ;)  

After the chicken looked cooked, and the noodles were still boiling, I added the alfredo and marinara sauce.   The recipe called for 3/4 cup marina, but we like a lot of sauce, so I made it a full cup.  You can also look in the store for a parm rosa sauce, which combines the two.  Our little rinky dink local grocery store didn't have that, so two separate jars for me!
After the noodles are cooked and drained, I threw them in the pan with the sauce and chicken and mixed them up.  The original recipe called for butter (2 tsp) to be added to the sauce, but I skipped that.  Mostly because I forgot, and also, it was an easy way to cut down on the calories without losing any taste (in my opinion).  You can also mix peas into this, but my child like husband would just complain about having to pick around them.  
I decided to throw in a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese for a little more gooey goodness.  
Finally, I made a little cheap cheese bread to go with it.  I buttered up some sliced bread, sprinkled on a little garlic powder, mozz cheese and a dash of paprika.  I threw them in the oven at 350* for a few minutes until the cheese had melted and they were golden brown.
Up next, just serve on your favorite reindeer Christmas plates, and you are done!  The reindeer plates are critical to a complete and yummy meal.  I promise ya.  This was quick, easy, and soooo yummy.  It made a lot, but it's perfect because I can bring some with for lunch at work.  You can top garnish your pasta with a little more red pepper if you'd like.  I like it spicy, but I didn't want to smoke out the girls so we left it off.

There you go.  Right to you from the kitchen of the next great chef.  Ok, that could be a stretch, but if I'm endorsing this, you know it must be easy and quick. :)

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny girl~ But now I am going to try it too!! Looks yummy!! Im thinking the girls would like this too!! Adam isn't home yet so I can add some peas to mine. If he were home peas would be not even be an option:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love