Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm a {one time} Domestic Diva

So, Pinterest has been a double edged sword for me.  It makes me feel all domestic and crafty.  The bad thing, it confirms how truly a mess I am in the kitchen.

It started out when I decided to make a crock pot potato soup.  Easy peasy, right?  I woke up early before work, did a little slicing and dicing.  You get the drill.  Then I hit a little snag.  The recipe called for corn starch. While getting the groceries I bought corn meal.  Same thing?  No, I was told they were not.  So, I was told I could substitute flour.  Ok, I can do that.  I talked up this soup to Eric and told him how we were going to come home from work to a nice, warm, homemade meal all ready for us.  Fast forward 9 hours when I walked in the door to a god awful stench.  Now, surely that can't be my masterpiece soup, right?  I run to lift the cover off of the crock pot and start to gag.  There awaiting us was a big, black, mushy pile of goo.  Cue the door, and in walks Eric and he does nothing but laugh.  Turns out I accidently used powdered sugar instead of flour.  Woopsies.  Big Fail #1.

Later on in the week, I found a recipe for a yummy roasted red pepper basil pasta.  As I'm grinding together all of the ingredients I see it asks for basil.  I go into my spice cabinet and pulled out the dried basil.  As I'm reading, it calls for one cup.  I start shaking and shaking.  Luckily (unluckily I guess) I had a couple of containers.  Still, it wasn't enough and I could only come up with a little more than 1/2 a cup.  As the sauce finished, I tried a little taste.  Oh em gee.  Horrible!  I then realized they meant one cup of FRESH basil.  Now, why don't they spell that out for me?  Big Fail #2.

I decided the 3rd time would be a charm.  It couldn't get worse, right?  Right?!?  Up next was Jamie Oliver's Crunchy Garlic Chicken.  I was bound and determined not to eff this one up.  I am going through and I read to zest a lemon.  WTF is zesting a lemon?  Luckily, Mr. Google helped me out so I didn't get off track.

I didn't stop there though.  Oh no, I was going to really see this mission out.  To go along with the chicken, I also made these Cheesy Ranch Potatoes.  I was a little nervous, because the recipe was pretty vague.  And if you haven't noticed from my previous attempts I need the Cooking for Dummies version.  At this point Eric was getting nervous.  I could see him scoping the freezers for a frozen pizza to throw in and save the day.

As the timers beep, the result was.........................................amazing!
 
Ta Da!!  Move over Rachel Ray!  (Is Rachel Ray still the cook of the moment?  See, I don't even watch those shows, so I'm totally lost) 

Maybe I need a cute little apron to fit my new role.  Time for some shopping...


   Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm so glad that you're open and honest about your kitchen adventures. It makes me feel a little better about my own mishaps ;) But, pinterest in amazing, and your food looks amazing too!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I am glad I am not the only one who has these kinds of kitchen mishaps on a regular basis. I will say the more I cook though the less mishaps I have these days. Good Luck and get yourself a cute lil' Flirty Apron they are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Pinterest has definitely helped me become a better cook :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love