Thursday, September 8, 2011

10 years ago...


I can't believe almost 10 years has passed since the September 11th attacks.  In a way it feels like just yesterday, but on the other hand it's hard to remember life before this.  That day was a day that my generation will never forget, similar to our parents first watching man step on the moon.  Although, unfortunately the emotional reaction was completely opposite.

This was my second week of college at the U of M.  I was in the shower and could hear the TVs going in the neighboring dorms talking about planes, and saying to try not to call 911.  Of course, I got out and was confused so I turned on the TV.  I saw then that a plane had crashed into one of the towers.  At this point, like most of America, I thought it must have been an accident.  But, how does that happen??  Why would your plane be that low?  That's when I saw the second plane hit, and the world instantly changed.

After that, classes were cancelled which NEVER happens.  I spent days/weeks/months glued to the TV, newspapers, internet, etc.  I remember my best friend about to sign up for the Marines and begging her not to go.  This changed everything, and I knew if she went through with it, she'd be going to war.

The pride I felt for our country was so strong.  I was in awe of all of the flags you'd see flying.  The way people came together in the middle of a tragedy was so beautiful.  Luckily, I didn't lose anybody close to me that day.  Sadly, that was not the case for many mothers/fathers/spouses/children.

What were you doing this historic day?  How did this impact your life?  Link up and share your story.



Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love