Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Brave Little Girl

Today was Kendall's surgery to remove most of her birthmark.  I've been awaiting dreading this day for quite awhile.  We had talked long and hard before we came to the decision.  After meeting with the doctor we decided to go ahead with it. 

We went down to Mpls last night and had some fun before the big day.  We stopped in at Panera for some yummy dinner.

As we were heading out, the doctor called to check if we had any last minute questions or concerns.  I was pretty impressed that she called us personally.  After checking in at our hotel it was time for the pool!

She had so much funny jumping into the pool and when daddy would throw her high in the air.  And he caught her...most of the time.

After all of the water fun, it was time to head back up to the room to read some books, watch some cartoons and settle in for the night.  We had to get Kendall up by 6am to get on the road, so we could check in at 6:30.

We got to the hospital and checked in.  We had some time to cuddle up and read her two new stories from Grandma K and Poppy T.  Kendall was quite the charmer and I think the nurses were falling for her. 

The nurses let me carry her back to the OR and hold her hand as they gave her gas.  We let her have her Nuk for the day so she would feel comforted.  The gas mask fit over her nose and mouth with her Nuk in.  She cried for a second and drifted off to sleep.  It was so comforting to be able to be with her, so she wasn't scared.  After that I was shooed out and Eric and I waiting patiently (well, not really) in our room waiting to hear.  The doctor came back about 35-40 minutes later and said everything went great and Kendall was waking up in the recovery room.  About 15 minutes later, they brought our groggy little girl back to us.  We were told when she woke up, all she was asking for was juice.  Go figure!  Poor thing wasn't able to eat or drink anything since the night before.  We got in a lot more cuddling time while we waited.

Kendall fell back asleep on the way home (about 9am) and slept until 1pm.  At this point she still had not eaten anything.  The rest of the day she was so happy and smiley.  You would've never been able to tell she had surgery that morning.  We never had to give her Tylenol or anything, she was doing so well.  Eric and I were both so proud of our little girl.  

The nurse called in to check on her around 8:30 that night.  I think this little honey made quite the impression on them.  She waved bye to everyone as we left and said, "Thank you!"  :)

1 comment:

  1. wow... I loved reading your post. I am so happy things went so well and that your little girl did so amazing. She def is a brave little lady.


Leave some love